Re: [EXIM] setting environment variables

Author: Peter Galbavy
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] setting environment variables
On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 10:49:04AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> Since the setting of environment variables is applicable only to the
> running of pipes, I don't think it would be right to specify them on the
> aliasfile director - the specification should be on the pipe transport.
> This means you would actually do this

After sending my mail and actually getting time to read the source (not
all of it of course!) I understand this is the case. Maybe I was a couple
of hours too hasty.

> instead of letting it use the default address_pipe transport. Also, Exim
> isn't geared up for multiple occurrences of one option; the natural way
> to implement it would be with colon-separated settings.
>
> I will put this on the wish list.

I have found a temporary hack, that involves butchering majordomo a bit,
and I will share it here in case it is of use to others; I now have a
part that says:

    virtual:
      driver = aliasfile
      domains = dbm;EXIM_HOME/domains/DOMAINS
      no_more
      file = EXIM_HOME/domains/$domain/aliases
      search_type = dbm
      pipe_transport = majordomo_pipe
      user = mdomo
      group = mdomo

    majordomo_pipe:
      driver = pipe
      return_output
      path = "/usr/local/majordomo"
      home_directory = "/etc/mail/domains/$domain"

And then use the $ENV{HOME} value in majordomo as a "hint" as to where
to look for the majordomo.cf file. The changes to the whole family of
majordomo scripts it to basically go and replace all occurances of
$ENV{HOME} and $homedir (the latter might be settable instead) to
where majordomo is installed, and hey presto - i mostly works.

Couple more slight ones to iron out, but I will read the source
this time; like can I make the file in the :include: relative to
the new "home directory" :)

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy