Re: [EXIM] need of arguments against exchange

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Dom Mitchell
Para: vtmue
CC: eml
Tópicos Novos: Off Topic - MSexchange relaying Re: [EXIM] need of arguments against exchange
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] need of arguments against exchange
"V. T. Mueller" <vtmue@???> writes:
> Trying to convince several people to use linux/exim instead of nt/exchange
> I would gladly appreciate any detailed information regarding "why NOT to
> use exchange".
>
> I heard stories like 'exchange violates RFCs' and things like that but
> would like to know more background info.

The most basic problem I have with exchange is that it doesn't have an
/etc/aliases equivalent. I asked our new Exchange administrator to
set up an alias for one address to go straight to another (offsite)
address and all I got was a blank stare. After much scurrying through
help fies and manuals, he had to:

* set up a dummy account.
* set up outlook on that account.
* set up "inbox assistant" (MS's own mail filtering stuff for Outlook)
such that it bounced all mail to the external address we wanted.
Because MS layering is so strange, these rules actually run on the
server (not where I'd expect them to), so it works.

Needless to say, I was not impressed.

The other thing with exchange is that you *don't* want to let it loose
on the Internet. It has no relaying protection that I could find.

I realise that I am an incredibly biased old Unix admin and if anybody
does have useful information on how Exchange works and how to avoid
the above problems, I'd appreciate it. We're stuck with Exchange now,
so I should probably learn my way around it. *sigh*.
--
When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
ladies, and, of course, the goat.