Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)
Quoth Julian on Thu, Dec 24, 1998:
> This means that I would have to maintain a copy of the source tree.

Only the Local directory.

> Admittedly your Makefiles haven't changed _much_ over the last 2 years,
> but they have changed. There isn't any real brain effort involved,
> I know where I will want to put all the log files (et al) but
> it would be nice (for a lazy where possible person like me) to be
> able to just type ./configure --base=/usr/exim --logs=/var/log/exim
> (or whatever)

When I compile some stuff which uses GNU configure, I usually
have to leave a file for myself describing what exact parameters
I gave to configure, and why. Just copying makefile and typing
make is easier than looking at the local README, cut-and-pasting
the command, and all that... Yet another good thing is that we
can (and do) have different Makefiles for exim for different
platforms, and believe me we have many platforms here. So
leaving it all in Local and just running make everywhere is easy.

> The other point was that exim is growing and growing, and the easier it
> is to be selective about what to include, and how to compile it, the
> easier it will be to keep this under control.

Under control? What is not under control now? Every platform
has files describing it.

> At least that is my view. Anyway, home for Christmas. Merry Christmas
> all.

Yup, merry Christmas.

Vadik.

--
Taunt not the sysadmin, for he can become you and make your life
interesting.