Re: Request (was [EXIM] POP)

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: James FitzGibbon
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: David M Walker, exim-users
Assunto: Re: Request (was [EXIM] POP)
On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Philip Hazel wrote:

> The big problem we have with POP is the Eudora users who select the
> "leave mail on server" button. How do ISPs cope with that, or do they
> lock out that option somehow?

Cucipop can do one of two rather nasty things:

- sabotage the 'UIDL' command, making it always return a psuedo-random
value. This causes people who have 'leave messages on server' turned on
to download *all* their mail every time they check it. They soon learn.
This of course makes you non-RFC compliant.

- force a 'DELE' for each successfully 'RETR'd message. Also makes you
non-RFC compliant.

At our site, we wrote our own Maildir compatible POP daemon which deletes
read messages (based upon the ',2:S' suffix) when the mtime of the file in
question exceeds a policy value (in our case, 90 days)

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                                james@???
System Engineer, ACC Global Net                   Voice/Fax (416)207-7171/7610