Re: Request (was [EXIM] POP)

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: David Sheryn
Para: michael
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: Request (was [EXIM] POP)
On 3 Dec 1998 michael@??? wrote:

[ ... ]

> > The other problem we have is that users configure their POP agents to
> > poll the server at ridiculously short intervals, like every 30 seconds,
> > so it is doing password checks at that rate. I guess you don't get that
> > problem on dialup connections.
>
> That's a good question. I will use a POP3 proxy that does the
> authentication in the near future. Right now, it performs between 20-30
> sessions (user, pass, stat, quit) per second, of which only stat and quit
> are handed to the real server. If needed, DNS RR sets could increase
> that number, using more machines.

Is this POP-proxy open-source (of some description) or is it proprietary ? I'd
certainly be interested in such a proxy-server if one was available...

> Can anybody provide some data on typical POP3 request rates per user
> with larger dialup installations?

We're not a large dialup site, but out of a user base of around 30,000
accounts, I typically see 3,000 unique users connecting per day, making around
60,000 transactions. The most interesting statistic from my perspective is
that over 70% of these are null transactions...

DHS
-- David Sheryn <D.H.Sheryn@???> Postmaster, Computing Services
-- City University, Northampton Square, London, EC1V 0HB
-- Phone: (+44) 171 477 8000 Direct 0171 477 8196 Fax: 0171 477 8565