RE: Request (was [EXIM] POP)

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Mickey Coggins
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Assunto: RE: Request (was [EXIM] POP)
> The big problem we have with POP is the Eudora users who select the
> "leave mail on server" button. How do ISPs cope with that, or do they
> lock out that option somehow?

Most customers that do this check mail at work and home, and only want
to download the mail at work, for instance. I believe it would be bad
form to restrict users from doing this. Besides, disks are so cheap
these days, if all users have a couple of megs in their mailboxes,
thats still only a few gigs if you have 10'000 users.

> The other problem we have is that users configure their POP agents to
> poll the server at ridiculously short intervals, like every 30 seconds,
> so it is doing password checks at that rate. I guess you don't get that
> problem on dialup connections.

This is a really big problem if you use mbox format, since the whole file
must be scanned each check. I'd like to try one of the non-mbox formats,
does anyone know of a pop server that supports one of these formats?

Thanks,
Mickey