Re: [EXIM] Mail systems stats etc

Author: Dom Mitchell
To: Ben Smithurst
CC: Nigel Metheringham, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Mail systems stats etc
Ben Smithurst <ben@???> writes:
> (completely off topic I know, but ...)

Hey, it's saturday. :-)

> Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
> > Qmail is in use by one of the biggies - UUNET/Pipex but I don't know of
> > other in the UK nor do I have a good feel for their volume.
>
> I think Force9, Clara and Cableinet use qmail, though I could be
> wrong. Volumes for those three are left as an exercise for the reader
> (because I have no idea, basically)

Easynet also use qmail. As do COLT. Both courtesy of Neil McRae...

> (I dread to think what volumes demon's punts get... hmm... quick check
> shows that I get 325 messages a day from demon's machines (and read much
> less)... multiply by 200,000 customers... 65 million messages per day,
> 752 messages per second. That's quite scary. Most users probably don't
> get quite as much mail as me though, I'm on quite a few FreeBSD lists,
> so I'm probably a few orders of magnitude out :-)

>From when I was there (over 6 months ago, things are probably on the

up now), we were shipping around 800k and upwards a day, I seem to
recall. Making sensible stats from that mail system was on of my
great unfinished projects - mmdf logs aren't terribly informative.

As to volume of mail per node, I would say that 325 msgs/day would
have put you in the top 1-2% of mail users. There were very few nodes
(perhaps 10-20) that did more than 500 msgs per day. Although I must
say that analysis of the logs did show that mailing lists were the
main reason for inbound mail. Again, it's all probably changed now.

-Dom