Re: [EXIM] check_dns_names not working?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] check_dns_names not working?

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 10:42:26 +0100 (BST)
> From: Philip Hazel <ph10@???>
> To: Bob Billson <kc2wz@???>
> Cc: exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] check_dns_names not working?
>
> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Bob Billson wrote:
>
> > I am trying to figure if I'm doing something wrong, check_dns_names is
> > not working correctly in 2.02, or perhaps something else.
>
> > MAIL FROM:<root@???_lux>
> > 501 <root@???_lux>: malformed address: _lux> may not follow
> <root@???
>
> This is a syntax error; nothing to do with check_dns_names. The change
> is recorded in the ChangeLog for version 1.921 as follows:
>
> 10. Domains in addresses that come in via SMTP commands (MAIL FROM, RCPT TO,
> VRFY) are now checked according to the more restrictive RFC 821 syntax rather
> than RFC 822 syntax. This syntax is that of a DNS domain.
>
> I might have guessed that underscores would rear their ugly heads. :-(
>
> > I know the *real* problem the original sender. <sigh> A filter to bounce
> > junk like this would be nice, but first exim has to accept it. :)
>
> Er, wasn't the 501 a good enough bounce?

I think the problem is that he is receiving mail by downloading it from
a POP account (a dubious practice at best anyway) where his ISP has
already accepted it.

I think these "popmail" and "fetchmail" type programs, instead of
bombing if an email they get is bogus (or is rejected by the local
MTA), should just skip over it and leave it in the POP mailbox.
Eventually the box will start filling up with spam and other malformed
junk, and maybe the ISP will get the clue to reconfigure/upgrade their
MTA so that the junk isn't accepted in the first place.