Re: [EXIM] check_dns_names not working?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Bob Billson
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] check_dns_names not working?
On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Dave C. wrote:
>I think the problem is that he is receiving mail by downloading it from
>a POP account (a dubious practice at best anyway) where his ISP has
>already accepted it.

Correct. It may be a dubious practice, but when it's a lot more
convenient than tying up my phone line and read/reply to my mail online.
When I can afford a 'real' connection, I'll get one. :)

>I think these "popmail" and "fetchmail" type programs, instead of
>bombing if an email they get is bogus (or is rejected by the local

Actually, fetchmail will do this. fetchmail grabs the header. If the
mail is bogus or spam, the remainder of the message is aborted and deleted
from the POP mailbox. It was *my* fault for forgetting to correctly handle
exim's 501 error. That's now fix. :)

>junk, and maybe the ISP will get the clue to reconfigure/upgrade their
>MTA so that the junk isn't accepted in the first place.

That would be nice, but I really don't want my ISP doing spam filter for
me. It's not perfect. At least if I do it locally, I have the option
of seeing what getting deleted. If my provider does it, legitimate mail
may get bounced/deleted and I'll never know about it.

This is getting a bit off topic, so I'll stop now.

       bob
--
bob billson     email: kc2wz@???  -or-  bob-bee@???     ham: kc2wz