Re: [EXIM] MX Loop

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Jochen Topf
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] MX Loop
On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Jochen Topf wrote:

> - Lookup MXes in DNS
> - If one of the MXes is in a configured list of hosts, ignore this MX, only
> use the other MXes

That doesn't make sense to me. You have

example.de     MX  1 mail.example.de
example.de     MX  2 mx.mydomain.de

and you are running on the host mx.mydomain.de. A standard MX lookup
will return just the host mail.example.de, since it automatically throws
away the local host and any lower priority MX. I can't reconcile that
with your statement of ignoring a specific MX...

> It's basically an extended "self" option. But instead of only saying
> "Oh, I am the MX, I can't send it to myself, so I find an MX with higher
> priority" it should say: "Oh, I know that MX. Its my friend from next door.
> He doesn't want it. I only send it to the one with higher priority. And
> if that one is not available I queue it."

So we are talking about THREE MX records then? I though there were only
two, plus a smart host.

> Or you could see it that way:
> For the purpose of MX delivery the "mx.mydomain.de" and "outgoing.mydomain.de"
> should behave as if they are *one* host.

Then they should have identical priorities in the MX records. The normal
MX rule ignores MXs with the same or lower priority than the local host.

I have to go now. Back tomorrow.

P.Hazel@???          New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
ph10@??? (sic)       England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714