Re: [EXIM] Dreaming...?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: John Horne
Cc: exim-users
Temas nuevos: case sensitivity Re: [EXIM] Dreaming...?
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Dreaming...?
On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, John Horne wrote:

> Did I or did I not read somewhere, which I now cannot find, that DBM lookups
> are case-independant? It seems they aren't...!

Nice fantasy. They aren't. All the DBM libraries operate from what are
essentially binary key strings.

The user of a DBM library can operate case-indendently by forcing all
keys to be in one particular case, both when creating the file and when
reading it.

Exim lowercases domain names, because they are defined to be
case-independent. Unfortunately, local parts of addresses are
case-dependent according to the RFCs. This is the cause of a lot of
trouble, but MTAs are required to maintain the case of local parts of
remote addresses. Of course, for addresses in your local domains you can
do what you like, and Exim does lower case those (unless
locally_caseless is set false).

The consequence of all of this is that case-specifity in Exim is a
confusing quagmire.

P.Hazel@???          New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
ph10@??? (sic)       England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714