Re: [EXIM] Dreaming...?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: John Horne
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Dreaming...?
On 18-Jun-98 at 13:05:51 Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, John Horne wrote:
>
>> Did I or did I not read somewhere, which I now cannot find, that DBM
>> lookups are case-independant? It seems they aren't...!
>
> Nice fantasy. They aren't. All the DBM libraries operate from what are
> essentially binary key strings.
>
> [...snip...]
>
> Exim lowercases domain names, because they are defined to be
> case-independent. Unfortunately, local parts of addresses are
> case-dependent according to the RFCs. This is the cause of a lot of
> trouble, but MTAs are required to maintain the case of local parts of
> remote addresses. Of course, for addresses in your local domains you can
> do what you like, and Exim does lower case those (unless
> locally_caseless is set false).

Yup, that sounds like it! I knew that something, somewhere, was
case-independant with respect to our DBM files :-) Thanks.

John.

John Horne                                     E-mail: J.Horne@???
Academic and Information Services              Phone :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233911
University of Plymouth, UK                     Fax   :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233919