[EXIM] Exim accepting addresses it cannot then parse

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Exim accepting addresses it cannot then parse

ph10@??? said:
} As far as RFC822 is concerned, that is a valid address. Single quote
} is not a special character. This turns out to be useful for addresses
} like

}         Jack.O'Lantern@???
}          Also, as far as RFC 822 is concerned, single quote is valid
} in domains as well as in local parts. However, I see that RFC 821
} prescribes domains to contain only letters digits and hyphens (and
} actually insists they start with a letter, something which has been
} relaxed in the DNS,  and in the upcoming revision to RFC 821).

I'm quite happy with quotes etc in the local_part. However, where the
domain is being handled by a DNS lookup they are bad news.....

I am currently stripping paired quotes (right round the whole address),
and using my dns patch to kill odd ones left in domains.

I think the DNS problem is actually that the dns.c file converts a number
of various DNS errors into what exim thinks of as a temporary error. In
particular our DNS gives back REFUSED for broken domains:-

pearl{nigel}101> dig "theplanet.net'" mx
; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> theplanet.net' mx
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 6

This should maybe be treated as a permanent error rather than a temporary
one.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]