[EXIM] Exim accepting addresses it cannot then parse

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Exim accepting addresses it cannot then parse
On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

>    'fred@???'

As far as RFC822 is concerned, that is a valid address. Single quote is
not a special character. This turns out to be useful for addresses like

        Jack.O'Lantern@???

Also, as far as RFC 822 is concerned, single quote is valid in domains
as well as in local parts. However, I see that RFC 821 prescribes
domains to contain only letters digits and hyphens (and actually insists
they start with a letter, something which has been relaxed in the DNS,
and in the upcoming revision to RFC 821).

Exim should therefore be upgraded to check this on incoming SMTP
addresses. Strictly, it shouldn't do this on addresses coming in via the
command line. I've made a note.

>     dns lookup: route_domain = theplanet.net'
>   DNS lookup of theplanet.net' (MX) gave TRY_AGAIN

... which seems odd of the resolver. Why give TRY_AGAIN for a
syntactically invalid domain?