[EXIM] PIPELINING (RFC1854)

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Georg v.Zezschwitz
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Temas antiguos: Re: [EXIM] Exim should advertise PIPELINING (RFC1854)
Asunto: [EXIM] PIPELINING (RFC1854)
Hi Philip,

> I must say that I am wary of implementing too much complication, as I
> have found over the 30 years I've been in this business that it is very
> easy to implement huge and grandiose schemes that actually achieve very
> little in practice in real situations. That's probably why I was
> attracted to the simple way Smail 3 worked, which I imitated in Exim.
> There's a lot to be said for KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

I consider this a bit disappointing, as I associate Exim with
technological lead.

Why should Exim not support Enhanced Error Codes?

There is absolutely nothing else to do but adding 3 numbers ahead
of every error code.

This is a job that easy it could be done by nearly everybody on
the mailing list, having the RFC in the one hand and holding the
keyboard in the other. The servers shouldn't break down by
these modifications.

Why should Exim not support DSN?

We were talking here about more natural and explanative errors codes
that Exim should return, but most people seem to have never heard
of the proposed standarts to implement this.

Systems rathers tend to get stable if they stop accepting mail
before the disk is full - so why is the SIZE-feature - beneath
the intended goodies ? - something which makes things more
unstable ?

8BITMIME is a *really* bloody thing (as my personal view is a MTA should
*never* rewrite the body of a message).

But more than 50% of the servers I deliver mail to offer 8BITMIME, and
probably in 2-3 years it will be 90%, and Exim might be one of those
10% "dinosaurs of a former age", which claim to need 7-bit-Mails.

Exim has in my eyes a technological lead of about 1 year concerning
spam prevention vs. Sendmail. However, sendmail is pretty ahead
concerning ESMTP.

I guess you did not include wonderful features like e.g. the retry-db
because this makes the system more simple, but because it is a great
feature in certain situations.

Exim has real advantages vs. sendmail and smail (don't know about
Zmailer and Qmail):

- All the power of a nowadays mailer
- from one hand
- with all the tools you need
- and this engaged mailing list.

I'd consider it a pity if you'd decide to let the technological
developement stay where it is. This doesn't mean that you have
got to do the job, but please let other include features.

Greetings,

Georg