Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: D. J. Bernstein
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...
[Don't send me extra copies of your messages, Georg.]

Georg v.Zezschwitz writes:
> Therefore, the overhead of 6 Bytes in announcing and about 11-13
> bytes in the MAIL FROM

I said ``measure,'' not ``speculate.''

How many SMTP connections were there? How many bytes were used in SIZE?
On average, how much less data do the same servers send when they
receive HELO instead of EHLO?

> The total number of bytes of the 28 messages was about 130 MB

Ah. Think of how much bandwidth you could have saved if you had
explained the facts of life to those users beforehand!

To put this all in perspective: What's your total available bandwidth?
Are you trying to connect an ISP to the Internet through a cheap modem?

> Even if the traffic would be higher, I'd suggest that there is
> a good point in the SIZE-feature.

For a typical 3K message? No. It's silly.

---Dan
Smaller, faster, safer than inetd+tcpd. http://pobox.com/~djb/ucspi-tcp.html