Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Georg v.Zezschwitz
A: D. J. Bernstein
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...
On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 07:21:05PM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> Georg v.Zezschwitz writes:
> > SIZE is broadly understood and really helps to save bandwith
>
> Have you measured the bandwidth saved by SIZE-related rejections? Have
> you measured the bandwidth used by SIZE declarations?

Interesting point.

I have scanned the last 10 days of logfile-entries:

There were 28 rejections from remote mailers (our site acting
as client). (Simple grep for "**" and "size" in the error logfile
- there might be more rejections).

The total number of bytes of the 28 messages was about 130 MB
(4,6 MB avg. size). We delivered less than 1 million mails in
that period.

Therefore, the overhead of 6 Bytes in announcing and about 11-13
bytes in the MAIL FROM would result in an additional traffic of
18-19 Bytes -> less than 18-20 MB vs. 130 MB saved.

But the more important point in my eyes is: Oversized mails in
general cause more trouble than normal ones, as the connection
might break down, a process is running for a longer time...

Even if the traffic would be higher, I'd suggest that there is
a good point in the SIZE-feature.

Greetings,

Georg