Re: [EXIM] RFC1413 timeouts, firewalls and sendmail

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: Stephen Marquard
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] RFC1413 timeouts, firewalls and sendmail
On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Stephen Marquard wrote:

> Here's an interesting tale:

It is very familiar to me.

> Mail from the SA government network to us was being chronically
> delayed [...]
> [...] It turned out that ident requests to the
> server attempting to send mail were being firewalled, with the result
> that they timed out at 60s instead of failing immediately with
> 'connection refused' or returning a response.

We had a very similar problem.

> As we don't use ident information for anything, I disabled it with
> rfc1413_query_timeout = 0s
> which solved the problem, but perhaps Exim should be using a lower
> timeout value by default, eg. 15s, or something which doesn't upset
> sendmails behind firewalled ident ports?

In my case it was the person setting up the firewall who solved the
problem, and decided that the correct behaviour would be for the
firewall to either fail or pass through ident requests. However,
it did lead me to wonder where the ident info was used.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814