Re: [EXIM] Exim and ISPs

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dave C.
A: Nigel Metheringham, Peter Radcliffe
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Exim and ISPs

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 10:27:55 -0500
> From: Peter Radcliffe <pir@???>
> To: exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim and ISPs
>
> Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@???> probably said:
> > paulm@??? said:
> > } the group might like to hear we've gone live with Exim on one of our
> > } relays.
> > yet another isp....
>
> Yay :)
>
> > It certainly looks to me as though a good chunk of UK ISPs are now exim
> > based, a very large chunk of UK educational institutions and quite a
> > number of non-UK setups. Maybe I should analyse the mailing list
> > breakdown....
>
> shore.net - US northeastern regional ISP based north of Boston.
> We're using exim on our relays and slowly moving other hosts over.
> We've had some problems with the strictness of exim with header verification
> on, but feel the amount of spam that gets denied is well worth it ...

cns.net - Campbell Network Systems. We are in several regions in the
616 area code in West Michigan.

It's been about two months since I switched everything on our net that
handles mail over to Exim (from Smail), using full sender_verify and
headers_sender_verify. I had been previously trying to wrestle with the
newer versions of Smail antispam features, but couldnt get them to work
the way I wanted. I was also using an ugly hack to handle virtual
domains with it, that is still not elegant but is somewhat cleaner with
Exim, and also lets receiver_verify work properly with those domains
whereas my hack with Smail would accept mail for nonexistent addresses
in virtual domains.

I've noted the amount of spam in my mailbox has been reduced
drastically. We've also seen some header verification failures, but
IMNSHO, those messages shouldn't be passed anyway.

Specifically, for some reason the MS Internet Mail client default
setting for Reply-To: seems to be "@", and exim is refusing to accept
mail from our dialup users like that. Most of them are intelligent
enough to call us and we look in the rejectlog, see the problem, and
get it fixed. Before, people's mail would go out, and they would wonder
why no one ever replied.

I also love perusing the rejectlog once in a while, looking at all the
crap that was rejected. Occasionally I'll see a server rejected due to
an underscore in its HELO name and I'll take a moment to lookup the
domain whois record, and sent a nice note to the administrator telling
them their config is wrong. So far all such problems have been NT
servers (:-P), and the administrators were receptive and understanding.