[EXIM] quick recipe needed...

Author: Sherwood Botsford
To: Exim List
New-Topics: [EXIM] RECIPE for dumb client box.
Subject: [EXIM] quick recipe needed...

My hand is being forced a bit faster than I like:

A spammer has found that one of our web servers will do
arbitrary relaying. It uses a version of sendmail that
is old enough that I should rip it out anyway. (hell, the
whole machine is old enough that I should sell it as an electric
heater.)

So it's time to push the entire network to exim.
Exim is compiling as I speak.

(It's an SGI 4d running Irix 5.3)

Anyway to prevent having to run armound and tweek aleph null
config files to add this and that with every spam block
change, I'd like to set this and the other 18 SGI's,
the 12 linux boxes, the 16 AIX boxes, the 13 Nexts, and 20 HP'...
so that they will *only* accept mail from my subdomain,
and will send non local subdomain mail to the two hubs.

I'm in a bit of rush, as the campus net guys are on my case.

so will the following routers do what I expect?

servers: (vega, spica)

dumb client box: (jazz.math.ualberta.ca)
default config except for:

sender_net_accept = 129.128.88.0/24

ROUTERS

localnet:
driver = lookuphost
transport = remote_smtp
domains = "*.math.ualberta.ca"

outsidenet:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = "* spica.math.ualberta.ca:vega.math.ualberta.ca byname"

That is, for machines that are inside my subdomain, jazz will
accept an smtp connection from any of them (sender_net_accept)

and will connect directly to the host if it's in my domain
and will connect through my mail hubs if it's anwhere else.

Do I have all the bases covered?

(The only thing with exim is that learning it is sort of like
swallowing a melon whole. To learn any of it you have to know all of
it beforehand... <wry grin>

Sherwood Botsford     | email avatar@???
Sorcerers Apprentice    | Office CAB 642B
System Administrator    | Tel: 403 492 5728
Trouble shooter            | Fax: 403 492 6826