Re: [EXIM] OK here goes...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] OK here goes...
On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Of course normally, i.e. if everyone lived up to RFC-822's expectations,
> the original sender should be setting the "Reply-To:" as appropriate for
> their own situation (eg. if you don't want to see a CC, then you should
> set the reply to go just to the list, as I'm doing with this message).

That isn't what RFC-822 actually means, according to some people,
including, I believe, the original author. Their interpretation is "If
Reply-to exists, it overrides From. That's all."

> Having thought about this problem for some time I think I've settled on
> the solution of promoting a MUA solution that involves having the user
> identify to the MUA which mail is from a list they subscribe to, and to
> have the normall "reply" or "followup" function to reply to the list by
> default. Then it'll just be a matter of training users not to use the
> "reply-all" function unless the *really* mean it. This is trivial to do
> as a user extension for my own mailer, but probably not so easy for
> others, and probably impossible for semi-commercial ones like Netscape.

There has been a very long "religious" thread on this subject on the
DRUMS list <drums@???> which has been rumbling since before
Christmas. The DRUMS list is for the IETF's DRUMS project, which is
revising RFC 821/822 etc. There's problably an archive of the list
somewhere, but I'm not sure where. I personally have kept well out of
the argument, since it is an enormous rathole. One of the points argued
about is "personal reply" versus "list reply", which of course Reply-To
doesn't really help you with, and also what MUAs should and should not
do. And how we get there from here.

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> I've just configured mutt to add Reply-To: exim-users@??? to my
> posts to the list, to remind people I don't want personal replies too :)

That won't make any difference to me. I use Pine. I have only a choice
of reply to sender or reply to all. I have to use "all" and remember to
edit out those who do not want personal replies. Some people in the cc
list might want personal replies.

Please don't continue this discussion here - if anybody seriously wants
to pursue this, please read the DRUMS list archive and then contribute
your two {pence,cents,whatever} to that list.

Philip