Re: [EXIM] Running exim -qv

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Henders
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Running exim -qv
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, John Henders wrote:

> I had a bunch of mail queued up on a machine because a broken alias
> driver didn't specify a user id to deliver under (wouldn't it be a good
> idea to make this default to the exim user if not defined?).

I don't think so because this might open a security loophole. I don't
think guessing uids for local delivery is a good idea.

> Anyway, I
> decided to run exim -v -q after fixing the problem to see how quickly
> exim processed the queue. In watching the results, I observered that
> exim was reporting "Connecting to.." with each mail delivery, even where
> there were multiple messages sent to the same host. Is this an artifact
> of using -v? I thought exim delivered all the mail queued up to a host
> down the same smtp connection.

Only if it has previously done the routing to the remote host and
considered connecting to it. (It need not have actually tried a
connection, if, for example, the host's retry time wasn't up.)