Re: [EXIM] Running exim -qv

Author: John Henders
To: exim-users
CC: Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Running exim -qv
On Thu, Dec 11/97, Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

> > In watching the results, I observered that
> > exim was reporting "Connecting to.." with each mail delivery, even where
> > there were multiple messages sent to the same host. Is this an artifact
> > of using -v? I thought exim delivered all the mail queued up to a host
> > down the same smtp connection.
>
> Only if it has previously done the routing to the remote host and
> considered connecting to it. (It need not have actually tried a
> connection, if, for example, the host's retry time wasn't up.)

Is it possible for a message to make it into the queue without exim
having done the routing for it? In the spec.txt if implies that even
mail sent to the queue immediately for later delivery by a queue-runner
will be likely to be sent in a single session. Is this only if the first
delivery fails, or does exim do the routing even when it saves to the
queue? Also is the mail handled any differently if the mail is saved to
the queue because of load settings?

--
  Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.