Re: [EXIM] Control of relaying on end system

Author: Richard Gilbert
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Control of relaying on end system
> Having run Exim very successfully on our two mail hubs (with no user
> mailboxes) since the summer I have just changed one of our general purpose
> Unix systems to use it in place of sendmail. This is so that I can
> prevent it being used as a relay.
>
> What combination of relay options do I need to allow remote users
> (not necessarily on our network) using a POP mailer to use the host to
> relay mail to arbitrary addresses? I keep rereading the relevant section
> of the manual but find it a bit confusing. It looks as though I need to
> include sender_address_relay = *@hostname.shef.ac.uk -- or could this be
> reduced to '*@@'? (This looks rather like a special case.)

I have now got control of relaying working the way I want it. Just to
clarify my requirements, I don't think I should be allowing any relaying
except for people using the host for SMTP with their POP mailer (we
recommend that they use the same host for SMTP as for POP). I expected
the envelope sender to be username@primary_hostname so I used
sender_address_relay = *@@ (the second @ standing for the
primeary_hostname). Philip pointed out that I need to use
relay_match_host_or_sender (added in version 1.62), so I used

sender_host_reject_relay = *
sender_address_relay = *@@
relay_match_host_or_sender

I then realised that some people configured the mailer with their
alias@shef[field].ac.uk address so I changed the second line to

sender_address_relay = *@@:*@sheffield.ac.uk:*@shef.ac.uk

I hope that this helps somebody else.

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services