Re: [EXIM] Banned users and log files

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Banned users and log files
On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, John Horne wrote:

> Apologies I should have sent this one with the others...
>
> If a message arrives from a banned site (sender_reject_recipients), but the
> sender is actually allowed to send the message (sender_reject_except), then
> the log files (and eximon) show the message as being banned and then
> delivered. For example :
>     recipients refused: <postmaster@???> H=...
>     <msgid> <= postmaster@??? H=...
>     <msgid> => postmaster@...  (we direct our postmaster mail off to another
>                                 system)

> Should the first line appear?

Are you sure this was actually what happened? The code doesn't seem to
go along with this. However, if the message got through because you have
got postmaster in recipients_reject_except, then I can understand it.

I guess it should read "all recipients except those in
recipients_reject_except list will be refused" (but not as wordy as that :-).

The first message gets output when the connection happens, while it is
checking out the host, and at that point it doesn't know what the actual
recipient addresses are. The wording was chosen before the exception
list was implemented.