Re: [EXIM] Using sender_reject_except

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Using sender_reject_except
jhorne@??? said:
} 2. In trying to ban addresses like AOL's 8 digit userids is it better
} to "fail" these in a system filter file, or by using RE's in the
} "sender_reject" option above? The former would seem to be better
} (i.e. uses less system resources; no file lookup) but is more
} difficult to dynamically configure than the latter (not much I admit
} but I want to keep this as simple as possible).

You are trading off a file lookup against running a load of script code.
Whats more if you reject it in sender_reject stuff the message *never*
comes into your system, which is a far bigger saving than anything else.
Keep spam on the outside where possible - letting it in then rejecting it
costs you resources.

[and why not use dbm lookups - all of my stuff is based on a
@@partial0-dbm;.. lookup.]

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]