[EXIM] Using sender_reject_except

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Using sender_reject_except
Two questions:
1. Following on from my last message (thanks Philip for the reply) is it also
true that regular expressions/wildcards won't work when a file lookup is used?

In configure I have :
sender_reject_recipients = partial-lsearch;TABLES/banned/users
sender_reject_except = partial-lsearch;TABLES/banned/users-allow

In neither case can I get wildcards or RE's to work. If I specify a domain
name (no wildcard character in it at all) then the domain and sub-domains
from the partial search works fine. But I'm trying to set exceptions in the
second option and therefore need to use either wildcards or RE's. If I specify
in the "users-allow" file "plymouth.ac.uk" then all mail to plymouth is
accepted, but if I put "*@plymouth.ac.uk" then it's all rejected.

If I change the "except" option to use "@@partial-lsearch;..." then it works
fine...wildcards, RE's, the lot. (Don't say "So use that...", there are
reasons why I'm trying to keep this all as simple as possible).

2. In trying to ban addresses like AOL's 8 digit userids is it better to
"fail" these in a system filter file, or by using RE's in the "sender_reject"
option above? The former would seem to be better (i.e. uses less system
resources; no file lookup) but is more difficult to dynamically configure
than the latter (not much I admit but I want to keep this as simple as
possible).

John.

John Horne,                                  E-mail: J.Horne@???
Computing Service,                           Phone : +44 (0) 1752 233911
University of Plymouth, UK.                  Fax   : +44 (0) 1752 233919