Re: [EXIM] Testing the next release

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Henders
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Testing the next release
On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, John Henders wrote:

> Not from the helo lines I was seeing. Typically they are just single
> element names like HELO Bobs_pc. Most looked like they might have been
> assigned by an MIS department somewhere. Possibly some M$ mailer that
> uses the local PC name as defined for the local lan.
>
> I guess I'll have to maintain a patch for it, as I don't want to have
> our support people having to explain why customers have to rename
> machines on their lan.

It is always a difficult choice to decide when to be more liberal than
the standards. At the one extreme "everybody does it" (e.g. permitting
white space after "MAIL FROM:", which is not in the standard) and at the
other extreme you are pandering to broken systems that really should be
fixed. I judge this particular case to be somewhere in the middle, which
makes it hard.

Compromise: I've made a note to consider an option to allow you to permit
additional characters in HELO names, but it won't make it into the next
release.