Re: [EXIM] Testing the next release

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Henders
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Testing the next release
On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, John Henders wrote:

> I've installed it on our main server and one problem I spotted right off
> is with the new HELO verify code. Unfortunately, a huge number of pc's
> seem to be configured with the invalid character _ in their names.
> Personally I've always wondered why this is an invalid character, and
> the reality now is that it has been a very common word separator in the
> PC world for years, so I've added that character to the test for
> acceptable separators in smtp_in.c.

Thanks, John. You might like to know that there is a one-line patch that
I've just stuck in the ftp directory, which you should put on if you
have

delay_warning = 0h

set, as otherwise it will crash. I don't think I want to accept
underscore in domain names, as it is clearly not in the standard list of
valid characters. I presume these failing PCs are not therefore
registered in the DNS?