Re: [EXIM] Wildcard MX record causing problems

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Wildcard MX record causing problems
Mike Zanker wrote:

> I've come across a problem whilst configuring Exim to work with my dial-up
> Demon Internet account (under Linux). I'd like to verify the sender's
> domain but this is proving rather difficult because of what seems to be a
> wildcard MX record for demon.co.uk. If Exim tries to perform an MX lookup
> for (e.g.) 1234.com the resolver tacks on .demon.co.uk and the lookup
> succeeds. Exim also re-writes the reply path with this "new" domain name.

What you describe is a typical nameserver problem, sorry to be a bore.
Try to configure your name server so that you have clearly defined
zones, each one with its own zone file. Add these zones to named.boot
and remember not to end any defined zones in named.boot with a trailing
dot. On the other hand, you can safely add trailing dots to the RRs in
the zone files. (Our - bind - name server automatically asks Demon for
updates to the Demon zone files when the refresh time is exceeded)

> I guess I could stop the resolver doing this with something like "search ."
> in resolv.conf, but is there an Exim configuration option that might help me?

Do try to correct this in your DNS, not in Exim - it's not an Exim
problem and could give rise to other aberrations with which Exim has
nothing to do.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw