Re: [EXIM] No route to host

Author: Chris Thompson
To: Tony Earnshaw, Joshua.Ross
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] No route to host
Tony Earnshaw writes

> Joshua Ross wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply. I am dialing up and using PPP. I don't run a bind
> > name server. However netstat -rn gives what you would expect, ping nslookup
> > etc all work and I can ping and traceroute to the hosts I want to send to.
> > www all works fine.
>
> In my experience, one will only get "no route to host" returned as an
> error when there isn't a proper gateway defined to the following
> (Internet or internal) router. It has nothing to do with Exim, as such.

Or, as Piete Brookes was implying, there's port 25 blocking involved. If you
are using Cambridge University networks at all (e.g. the Magpie dial-up service),
that is very likely: read the rules! Compare the responses to

telnet list.theplanet.net smtp

with other ports (well, list.theplanet.net may not be the best host to try!).

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.