Re: [EXIM] No route to host

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [EXIM] No route to host
Joshua Ross wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I am dialing up and using PPP. I don't run a bind
> name server. However netstat -rn gives what you would expect, ping nslookup
> etc all work and I can ping and traceroute to the hosts I want to send to.
> www all works fine.

In my experience, one will only get "no route to host" returned as an
error when there isn't a proper gateway defined to the following
(Internet or internal) router. It has nothing to do with Exim, as such.

What do you mean by "netstat -rn gives what you would expect"? Does it
always return a default gateway? Even if your dialup connection is down?

Here is the first line of my own "netstat -rn":

Destination      Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Interface
default          194.159.73.222     UGS         0        3  du0

Our own Internet IP number is 194.159.227.192, mask 255.255.0.0.

Do you also have a default entry in your routing table? If not, add one
to your nearest gateway: "route add default gateway_IP_number (must be
consistent with your own Internet IP number and the netmask assigned to
it).

Then again, you're not running a bind nameserver, you say. What kind of
a nameserver are you running? Are you running a name server at all? If
not, how is the IP/name translation done on your machine? If not, you'll
be going to the nameserver of your ISP and be getting your translations
from him, but again, that will only work satisfactorily if you have a
default route in your routing table.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw