Re: [EXIM] gating mail

Author: Dana Booth
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] gating mail
George Bonser wrote:

> > What I would like to accomplish is this: I would like some, not all,
> > incoming mail from the Internet to be routed to this second Linux box,
> > that does not have an Internet address.
>
> Two ways of doing this come to mind: The first is to add aliases on the
> firewall box for the mail that you want to go to the second linux box (that I
> will call box2 in this example)
>
> user1: user1@box2
> user2: user2@box2
>
> and so forth.

Awhile back, I setup a Linux box here at home that's connected to my own
FreeBSD box. (as well as a couple of windows95 computers that my wife
and kids use) It's been nice to be able to simulate situations here,
without loosing any production time. :)

Anyway, I setup Exim on the two Unix-like machines here, and thought I
had it going... I was passing mail just fine between the two computers,
but the rotten thing... If I telnet to work and use Pine to write a mail
to a test user here, and that test user is in the alias file to be sent
to box2, it won't forward the mail, but instead writes an autoresponse
back saying 'no such mail domain', or something like that.

If I write a mail from myself to the test user locally, it does just
fine using gethostbyname in the /etc/hosts file, why not from a remote
host?

--

Dana Booth <dana@???>