Re: [EXIM] Confused about sender verify

Author: Philip Hazel
To: F. Jacot Guillarmod
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: [EXIM] One more (small) wish
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Confused about sender verify
On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, F. Jacot Guillarmod wrote:

> I've been staring at a couple of entries in the exim rejectlog similar to this
> one, which is generated by a pop user gatewaying through hippo.ru.ac.za:

> 1997-11-20 16:47:10 0xYXss-0001Do-00 rejected from d5.phys.ru.ac.za

[146.231.178.31]: can't verify header sender (try again later):
envelope sender is <phrg@???>

The wording of that message is accurate, but misleading. What Exim
cannot verify is any sender in the message's headers (that's what it
means by "header sender"). It isn't the envelope sender that is at
fault. (I have changed the wording a bit to try to make this clearer in
the next release.)

However, I see that the From: header contains

> F From: phrg <phrg@???>

which is the same as the envelope, so even if you misunderstood the
message, that doesn't matter!

The "try again later" bit means that an attempt to verify the address
got a "defer" result.

> The entries in the config file that could affect this behaviour are:

You didn't include the directors... since *.ru.ac.za is local, it will
have passed the address to them for verification. Problems in directors
can cause deferment.

(1) If you run the command

exim -bv phrg@???

what to you get?

(2) There aren't any silly non-printing characters in there are there?

Philip