Re: [EXIM] Confused about sender verify

Author: F. Jacot Guillarmod
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Confused about sender verify
Philip Hazel writes:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, F. Jacot Guillarmod wrote:

[...]

> > The entries in the config file that could affect this behaviour are:
>
> You didn't include the directors... since *.ru.ac.za is local, it will
> have passed the address to them for verification. Problems in directors
> can cause deferment.

Here's the directors bit of the configuration file:

# This director handles aliasing for dialup ppp users, who
# are all on mailbox.ru.ac.za [aka buffalo.ru.ac.za].

ppp_aliases:
driver = aliasfile;
file = /usr/local/lib/exim/ru.ppp-aliases,
search_type = lsearch,
user=exim

<<< where ru.ppp-aliases contains entries like this:
A.Grewar:        du970524@???
lwhyk:            dulw@???
ecumedia:        du970616@???
capecollege:        du970718@???
masibulele:        du970719@???
jcac:              du960718@???
R.Matthews:        du970721@???

# This director handles aliasing on a site wide basis. i.e.
# it should look up mail destined for name@??? and deliver
# it to that users preferred email address.

site_aliases:
driver = aliasfile;
file = /usr/local/lib/exim/ru.ac.za-aliases,
search_type = lsearch,
user=exim

<<< where ru.ac.za-aliases contains entries like this:
amnesty: g9631702@???
compsoc: g91b8566@???
conferences: adil@???, adml@???
astrosoc: astrosoc@???
aiesec: g95n4152@???
rmr: rmr@???
#
jacot:            ccfj@???
ccfj:            ccfj@???
a.soper:        paas@???
b.bonnevie:        ccbb@???
e.randall:        ccer@???
f.jacotguillarmod:    ccfj@???
t.bouwer:        t.bouwer@???
m.maritz:        mmaritz@???

# This director handles aliasing using a traditional /etc/aliases file.

system_aliases:
driver = aliasfile;
file = /etc/aliases,
search_type = lsearch,
user=exim

# This director handles forwarding using traditional .forward files.
# If you want it also to allow mail filtering when a forward file
# starts with the string "# Exim filter", uncomment the "filter" option.

userforward:
driver = forwardfile;
file = .forward,
seteuid,
check_local_user,
filter

# This director matches local user mailboxes.

localuser:
driver = localuser,
transport = local_delivery;

end

> (1) If you run the command
>
> exim -bv phrg@???
>
> what to you get?

phrg@??? verified

and the same response for exim -bv phrg

> (2) There aren't any silly non-printing characters in there are there?

Hmmm... not sure about that, but anything is possible. The fact that some
(many) of our pop users experience no problems with these exim setups could lend
some weight to the idea that users could have mistyped something.

Any chance of getting exim to somehow display funny characters encountered in
headers while it's busy logging?

Jacot
--
F.F. Jacot Guillarmod - Information Technology - Rhodes University - Grahamstown
      Internet: Jacot@???  Phone: +27 461 318284 Fax: +27 461 27764