Re: [EXIM] sending mail to host with no mx record

Author: Alan Barrett
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] sending mail to host with no mx record
> > But email should never use DNS search heuristics: domain names in email
> > messages should always be fully qualified, and mailers should always
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I agree, but I was forced to implement
>   {sender,recipient}_unqualified_{hosts,nets}

So implement the expansion from unqualified to fully-qualified domain
names separately from the MX lookup, in such a way that the input to
the MX lookup is always a FQDN.

> > tell their DNS resolvers not to perform any search heuristics (except
> > to handle special cases deliberately configured by the sysadmin).

{sender,recipient}_unqualified_{hosts,nets} is an example of a
special case deliberately configured by the sysadmin.

--apb (Alan Barrett)