Re: [EXIM] sending mail to host with no mx record

Author: Alan Barrett
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] sending mail to host with no mx record
> Wildcard MX records are known to be evil, but it seems they are quite
> widely used.

The problems you mention are not caused by wildcard MX records; they are
caused by various DNS search heuristics tripping over the wildcards in
ways that are not expected by naive email users.

But email should never use DNS search heuristics: domain names in email
messages should always be fully qualified, and mailers should always
tell their DNS resolvers not to perform any search heuristics (except
to handle special cases deliberately configured by the sysadmin).

> I could make no_search_parents the default setting, but
> this might cause trouble at sites who rely on it.

Yes, you should make no_search_parents the default.

--apb (Alan Barrett)