Re: [EXIM] Temporary failures

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dom Mitchell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Temporary failures
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Dom Mitchell wrote:

> I have an odd request...

Very!

> Is there any way to give out a temporary failure all the time in
> response to a particular user. Something like this in
> /etc/aliases would do the trick if it existed:
>
> person: :tempfail:
>
> And it would produce a 400-style code in the SMTP conversation.
>
> Why do I need to do this? I'm trying to keep a certain users
> mail on the mail server (for later reading via pop3), whilst I
> get all the rest of the mail passed down to me via smtp.

But if you want to read it later via pop3, surely you want it delivered
(from Exim's point of view) on the server? Into a file or something that
the popper can see? How does failing to pass it on to another system
help?

You could fudge this by deliberately breaking your Exim configuration
with a director something like

temp_fail:
driver = aliasfile;
file = /fudge/alias,