Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Piete Brooks
CC: Evan Leibovitch, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities
Piete.Brooks@??? said:
} I was assuming that exim would discard all privs, release all "locks",
} and then exec a *TINY* programme which t a l k e d v e r y s l o w
} l y and knows just enough to reply "550" to all lines of input.

I had also been assuming this was the way forward - then you could build
whatever you wanted to do there....
and if your program output the complete Encyclopaedia Brittanica at 1 or 2
characters per second in continued sections of a 550 reply, then that
would be just fine....

[and some people might consider this a good place to put a piece of
software which gave the other end a free checkout wrt to network exploits
etc - why not fragment the packets going back with a nicely broken set of
fragment offsets (the teardrop bug discussed last week on BUGTRAQ), or try
sending back a 2MB response line to see if people have their buffers
length checked (actually a set of continuation bits might well do it
anyhow). Of course I would never actually recommend such an approach :-) ]

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]