Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities

Author: m.hampson
To: Evan Leibovitch
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users, m.hampson
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities
!> Remember that while you are sitting there dribbling out stuff slowly,
!> you are tieing up *your* resources as well.
!
!Yes, but just about every form of recipient-based spam blocking requires
!extra effort/resources at the receivers' end. Table lookups are pretty
!cheap, but the RBL proposal means you have to query another server
!every time a connection is made (its maintainers specifically request
!that RBL replies *not* be cached).

How about a anti-spam server.

Everyone maintains a high value MX record to a server who only function
is to accept smtp connections and let them hang until timeout.

A connection from a known spammer is rejected by the real mail
servers and will fall back to the anti-spam server where they wait until
a time out.

If UKERNA fund say 20 of these servers and we set mx records to all of them
it will take ages for spam mail to fail thus tying up resources on the
sending machine.

Martyn

[Joke]
[I think]
   | Martyn Hampson          |    Tel:    0171 594 6973                 |
   | Imperial College        |    Fax:    0171 594 6958                 |
   | Computer Centre         |    E-Mail: M.Hampson@???            |
   | London SW7 2BP, ENGLAND |    "Don't just do something, sit there!" |