Re: [EXIM] Partial domains and relaying controls

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Osborne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Partial domains and relaying controls
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, David Osborne wrote:

> I'm looking at controlling relaying via our Exim systems. However,

when I tried it last week, a message was rejected because it was
addressed to a partially-qualified domain.

Well, the specs all say that messages transmitted between machines
should not use partially-qualified domains. It just leads to trouble...

> However, a message sent from a machine on our net was rejected because

it was sent to "user@unix" rather than "user@???".
The configuration has rewrite rules to fully-qualify that name, so I
wonder if the relay checks take place before the rewrite rules are
applied? The FQDN appears in the relay_domains file mentioned in the
partial-lsearch, but the partially qualified name does not.

Yes, the relay checks take place at SMTP time, on the incoming address
exactly as specified. Rewriting happens later.