Re: [EXIM] RFC 976 & Exim

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Georg v.Zezschwitz
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] RFC 976 & Exim
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Georg v.Zezschwitz wrote:

> Why being that strict about the syntax of the From-line?

In order to distinguish between a real "From" line of this type, and the
start of the message body that just happens to begin with the word
"From". I don't like being over-liberal in recognizing things because I
believe that it usually leads to trouble later on.

> Are there any definitions of the "From_"-line, beside the
> one in RFC 976?

I do not know of one.

I have, in fact, gone ahead and implemented two new options which should
make it possible for you to do what you want in the next release without
having to change the code.

uucp_from_pattern = regex
uucp_from_sender = expansion string

what it does is to apply the regex to lines it reads before it has found
any header lines. If the regex matches, the line is taken as a "From "
line, and the string is expanded to give the sender taken from the
string. So you could set

uucp_from_pattern = ^From (\S+).*remote from (\S+)
uucp_from_sender = $2!$1

if you know that all incoming From lines have the "remote from" section.
If not, you have to write a more complicated regex and string expansion.

Philip