Re: [EXIM] RFC 976 & Exim

Author: Georg v.Zezschwitz
To: Philip Hazel
CC: gvz, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] RFC 976 & Exim
> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Georg v.Zezschwitz wrote:
>
> Exim does recognize input that starts with a "From " line, provided the
> caller of Exim is a trusted user. See the description of the -bm option
> in chapter 5.
> However, all it does is to take the sender as the string
> that follows "From ".

This is a bit different from the way Smail handles this line.
There seem to be quite a lot of UUCP-systems that don't include
the user in the 'domain!user'-way at the beginning, but rely
on the MTA to put the 'remote from' system at the beginning
giving 'system!user' as sender.

> Could some UUCP-experts please comment? Would it be helpful to make the
> regex that recognizes "From " lines into an option that could be changed
> in the configuration file? There could also be an option that specified
> how to turn the result of the match into the sender address, rather like
> the way the "gecos_" options work.

Why being that strict about the syntax of the From-line?

All Exim uses is the first field, the user field.
As far as I understand RFC 976, the only assumption that might
be made is that there *is* a username and a 'remote from'.
I guess 'remote from' should be looked for as a keyword (this
is the way Smail works in "queue.c"). Everything between is
the date (which is ignored), everything behind the system name.

Are there any definitions of the "From_"-line, beside the
one in RFC 976?

Greetings,

Georg