Re: [EXIM] Logging of 554 SMTP service not available

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ned Schumann
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Logging of 554 SMTP service not available
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Ned Schumann wrote:

> We're getting reports of "554 SMTP service not available" for our local
> network, but are unable to find similar messages in the mainlog. The
> documentation on 'Log_level' suggests that this type of error would be
> reported at level 4 but we're at the default level - 5.

All such incidents should be accompanied by an entry in the log at level
1, which is also copied to the reject log.

> The source code indicates that the DEBUG option needs to be compiled in to
> see this class of error. Would it make sense to promote this kind of error
> to the logs since it reflects operational problems rather than debugging
> problems?

554 does not reflect operations problems; it is only used when trying to
reject a message utterly (e.g. host in reject list). Any rejections
caused by overload, etc. will get 421 (temporary) errors. You should see
entries like

connection from xxxx refused (host reject)

for each 554 incident, meaning the host concerned was in a host reject list.

(Incidentally, DEBUG is a run-time, not a compile time option. The
debugging code is always there.)

> Would it be possible to have memory-based tuning data such as the maximum
> number of SMTP connections since the last reset time?

Interesting idea; noted on the Wish List. I guess SIGUSR2 could be used
to get them out, or perhaps they could be logged every hour or whatever.

> Assuming that the above 554 error is due to overload,

No, it won't be.