Re: [EXIM] NOSPAM/IHATESPAM

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jon Peatfield
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] NOSPAM/IHATESPAM
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Jon Peatfield wrote:

> I've got our exim configured to perform sender verification on incomming
> messages. I see from our rejectlog that we have a number of attempts to send
> us mail with the sender set to:
>
> xxx@???

I've seen plenty of examples of this sort of address in news postings.
My impression was that the users thereof expected them to fail.

> We reject them temporarily since there are DNS
> entries for NS RRs for NOSPAM.com and IHATESPAM.com
> reply and we get "try again" messages each time.

Sigh. That sort of defaults the object, doesn't it? I wonder if the
hostmasters of those nameservers should be contacted? Perhaps they are
spam-mongers who are trying to be spoilers?

> Should we as good net citizens reject such mail or not? Should we reject it
> hard? At the moment we have a number of servers trying to send the same
> messages to us every other minute! There has to be a better way...

Indeed.