Re: [EXIM] SMTP timeouts

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Evan Leibovitch, John Henders, George Bonser
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] SMTP timeouts
On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I am noticing occasional, but repeating, entries in my log such as:
>
> 1997-11-11 11:38:22 SMTP incoming data timeout (message abandoned) while
> connected to h-205-217-237-89.netscape.com [205.217.237.89]

This message is given when there is a timeout during the DATA phase of
receiving a message. It usually means there is a network problem, or
maybe an overloaded host that can't send a message at a reasonable
speed.

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, John Henders wrote:

> I remember seeing something like this a few years ago with smail when it
> was set to a shorter timeout. It used to be a "feature" of sendmail that
> it would hold open an smtp connection after delivering mail to a site,

I don't think this is the case here. A timeout while waiting for an SMTP
command is logged as "SMTP command timeout".

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> I also noticed some SMTP timeouts. Having just noticed one from
> x1.boston.juno.com, I grepped the mainlog and sure enough, I had received a
> message exactly 5 minutes before the timeout. Since I have SMTP timeout set for
> 5 minutes, it seems that the juno host is holding the connection open after
> delivering mail.

Were yours "SMTP command timeout" messages? If so, that accords with the
way Exim's code is supposed to work. If they were "SMTP incoming data timeout"
messages, then there's some investigation I need to do...