Re: [EXIM] Sending to system without an MX

Author: Andy Mell
To: Evan Leibovitch
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Sending to system without an MX

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I'm trying to send mail to a system which has an A record in its DNS but
> no MX. All attempts to verify/send refused to find the site.
>
> ...but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Neither does adding a
> similar line in the 'smtp' transport section. What do I need to do to
> allow the 'lookuphost' router/driver to accept systems that have an 'A'
> but no "MX' record?

If its just the one site then you can configure a special router for that
site which goes in the configure file routers section before the
lookuphost router i.e.

# It forces use of the DNS A record instead of the MX record

special:
driver = domainlist,
transport = remote_smtp;
route_list = "a.record.host.net a.record.host.net bydns_a"

Think thats right, but dont take my word for it and do this on a
production system. And thanks to Philip Hazel for suggesting this when I
came across a similar problem to yours.

Andy
--
Andy Mell, Network Admin, Cambridge University Press, Shaftesbury Road,
Cambridge CB2 2RU, UK.      Phone +44-1893-359536, Fax +44-1223-325972