Re: Smtpbatch and aliases...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Ryde
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: Smtpbatch and aliases...
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Daniel Ryde wrote:

> So, now it is to get bsmtp to work the same way as the envelope-to header.
> As a new option to bsmtp like "bsmtp = rcpts" or similar, that makes it
> take the "rcpt to" addresses from the envelope-to list instead.

I'm afraid I really don't like the idea of subverting bsmtp's RCPT TO to
contain the *previous* envelope contents. The right way to do that must
surely be to use a smartuser to route the previous addresses, without
changing them via an alias file.

-- 1 ---------------------------------------------------

Have I suggested something like this before?

   aliases:
     driver = aliasfile;
     file = /some/file,
     search_type = lsearch

   unaliased:
     driver = smartuser,
     transport = bsmtp;

Anything not in the alias file is sent straight to the transport, with
the original envelope addresses.

-- 2 ---------------------------------------------------

In the current development Exim I can do almost what you want by having
an alias file containing

    *:   /some/file

and a new option

    file_transport = some_transport

on the aliasfile director, and on that transport putting something like

    some_transport:
      driver = appendfile;
      bsmtp = all

This produces one copy of the message, with all the addresses that
matched "*" in separate RCPT TOs.

But it seems much more complicated than 1.