Happy new exim user with questions

Author: Paul Phillips
To: exim-users
Subject: Happy new exim user with questions
Hi. exim is my friend. I am free of the sendmail daemon.
And yet I have questions... I ask forgiveness in advance if any
of these are covered in the manual, but I have indeed sought
answers there, and I do have exim doing 99% of what I want.

 -- It's not clear to me under which circumstances alias expansion sends a
    message back to the originator, if on that alias.  The natives in
    general don't seem to want it.

 -- blocking big lists of spam havens -- a giant :-separated list
    of IPs in the config file is very unwieldy.  Have we another way?
    I'd like to block as much as possible at the IP level and let
    the rest go through the global filter.

 -- Is there a better way to forward some email to workstations and
    keep some on the SMTP/POP server than aliasing (say) paulp
    to paulp@zax in /etc/aliases?

 -- documentation note: it took me a while to figure out why there
    was a huge delay when trying to send email (blocked ident lookups)
    and a while longer to figure out how to turn it off
    (rfc1413_query_timeout = 0s).  Suggest this be more prominent.

 -- spam filtering: I can't figure out how to say "if ANY header
    has blah-blah-blah string then do this" i.e. full header scanning.

Just for fun I turned off all the former spam filters I had so I
could drop two years of cruft and build anew. Here are a few that
I've built back in after watching the incoming spam for a couple
days. If anyone would like to share a few more along these lines
I'd dig it.

# friend@??? headers
if $header_to contains friend@??? then
        log "$tod_log Dropped $message_id for: $header_to"
        save /usr/local/exim/spam
        seen finish
endif

# "Visit www.iemmc.org for name removal information"
if $header_x-advertisement contains www.iemmc.org then
        log "$tod_log Dropped $message_id for: www.iemmc.org"
        save /usr/local/exim/spam
        seen finish
endif

# Receieved: ... [000.000.000.000]
if $header_received contains 000.000.000.000 then
        log "$tod_log Dropped $message_id for: 000.000.000.000 in Received"
        save /usr/local/exim/spam
        seen finish
endif

And... that's all. Kudos to all involved with exim, I won't comment
on my experiences with qmail vs. exim except to say that I'm using
exim, not qmail.

--
Paul Phillips      | My diary [is] full of incomplete sentences, made up words,
Kibologist         | random surreal imagery that I can't even understand let