Re: Happy new exim user with questions

Author: John Henders
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Happy new exim user with questions
On Sun, Oct 26/97, Paul Phillips <paulp@???> wrote:

>  -- blocking big lists of spam havens -- a giant :-separated list
>     of IPs in the config file is very unwieldy.  Have we another way?
>     I'd like to block as much as possible at the IP level and let
>     the rest go through the global filter.

Any version after 1.73 allows using net lists in a file.

>  -- Is there a better way to forward some email to workstations and
>     keep some on the SMTP/POP server than aliasing (say) paulp
>     to paulp@zax in /etc/aliases?

Not that I've figured out. You might be able to do something if the
username isn't matched locally, but you'll still need something to map
usernames to workstations if there's more than one workstation so I
don't think there's much saving over the alias file.

>  -- documentation note: it took me a while to figure out why there
>     was a huge delay when trying to send email (blocked ident lookups)
>     and a while longer to figure out how to turn it off
>     (rfc1413_query_timeout = 0s).  Suggest this be more prominent.

Blame this on the broken winsock. If it didn't do the wrong thing with
identd connects there wouldn't be a problem. The default of 60s might be
a bit much though, as Eudora also has a 60 second timeout.

--
  Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.